Transfer registration number to a person's name

When you have bought a car, you must have the registration number put in your name with the help of the seller. This is called transferring ownership or registering a vehicle in your name.
  • Requirements for transferring ownership

    • You are at least 18 years old (16 years if you want to transfer a moped).
    • You live in the Netherlands and are registered in the Basisregistratie Personen (BRP/personal records database) of a municipality.
    • You must arrange for the transfer of ownership to your name yourself.
    • The registration certificate must be complete.
      Check this in advance with the seller of the vehicle. If the seller has lost (part of) the vehicle registration certificate and/or the registration code, they must first apply for a new registration certificate or a new registration code with us. They cannot sell the vehicle to you without it. If the vehicle registration certificate is in paper, it is not a problem if Part I of the Vehicle Registration Certificate is missing. 

    Registering a vehicle to your company's name

    If you want to register the vehicle to the name of a legal person, please read Transfer registration number to the name of a company.

    Are you self-employed or are you a partner in a professional partnership? You can only transfer the registration number to your name as a person. On this page you can read how to do that. 

    Check registration certificate and registration code

    Check (free of charge) whether the seller's registration card is the last registration card issued with the vehicle and whether the registration card and the registration code match. To do this, go to Check the registration card.

  • Buying from an RDW recognised company

    Are you buying a vehicle from a vehicle company recognised by RDW? That company can usually transfer ownership for you right away. In that case, you only need to bring a valid proof of identity. (For more information, go to How to identify when you buy a vehicle as a private person). You will find RDW recognised companies where you can buy a vehicle via the RDW location finder (only available in Dutch).

    Buying from a private person or a legal entity

    Are you buying from a private person or a legal entity? You transfer ownership as follows: 

    1. Go to a vehicle registration counter, an RDW desk or an RDW inspection station. It may also be possible to transfer ownership of the vehicle online. For more information, see 'How to transfer ownership online'. At some registration desks you can also transfer ownership on Sundays and in the evening.
    2. Ask the seller of the vehicle:
      • the vehicle registration document in credit card form (registration card) together with the registration code or
      • the original registration certificate (part 1B) and the Transfer certificate
    3. Bring these documents along with a valid ID. (For more information, see 'Identification when purchasing a vehicle') A driving licence is not required.
    4. You will receive 2 documents from the desk assistant:
      • a vehicle log book containing the first 4 digits of the registration code.
      • a certificate of indemnification. This is proof that the vehicle is no longer registered in the seller's name. You give this certificate to the seller.
    5. Now the vehicle is registered in your name and you have to meet the obligations that come with it. You can read which these obligations are under 'Vehicle obligations'.
    6. We will send you your new registration certificate and the second part of the registration code the next working day. If the registration number is transferred before 4 p.m., we will send the certificate the same day.
      Is your vehicle owned by a lease or finance company? Then you will receive the registration card either from us or from the lease company. We always send the registration code of a lease vehicle to the lease company. 
    7. Tip: The registration code is often printed on a paper that looks like a receipt. Receipts are often thrown away, so take care to keep the numbers of the registration code safe. You can write down the first 4 digits on the letter you receive from us on the certificate that holds the second part of the code. Then you do not need to keep the receipt.
  • Under certain conditions, it is possible to transfer ownership of a vehicle online. That means you do not have to go to a service desk or counter.


    • You have the registration card and the ascription code of the vehicle you want to transfer. Online transfer is not possible with a 'paper' registration certificate.
    • You have a valid Dutch passport, Dutch driving licence or Dutch identity card with a chip. All passports and identity cards come with a chip. Driving licences issued after 14 November 2014 come with a chip.
    • The mobile phone you use (your own or someone else's phone) must be an Android smartphone, version 7.0 or higher, or an iPhone model 7 or higher and iOS version 13.2. These phones have a NFC chip reader. This chip reader is required to check your identity. Make sure the chip reader is enabled on your phone. 

    How to transfer ownership online

    1. Check whether you can transfer ownership online. Under the heading 'requirements' you can read what you need to transfer ownership of your vehicle online. If you do not meet all the requirements, you cannot transfer ownership online. Go to a service desk.
    2. To transfer a vehicle online, you as the buyer must do a one-time identity check via the DigiD app, using your passport, driving licence or identity card. You need a mobile phone for this. You don't have the DigiD-app on your phone? Download this app first. Then do the identity check. Read on for more information about the identity check via DigiD. Are you using the mobile phone of someone else? Make sure that you use the app with your own DigiD details!
    3. After you have done the one-time identity check on your mobile phone, you can transfer ownership of the vehicle. You do this via the 'Transfer ownership of vehicle' button. You pay by iDEAL.
    4. You will receive several emails from us after you completed the online transfer of ownership. Only after you received the second e-mail, ownership of the vehicle has really been transferred. From that moment on, you are responsible for the obligations that come with owning a vehicle. See 'Vehicle obligations'.
    5. In our third e-mail to you, you will find a link to the certificate of indemnification and the vehicle log book with the first part of the registration code. The vehicle log book is for you. You can download or print the certificate of indemnification and hand it to the seller. Please note: forwarding just the link does not work. The link in the email remains valid for 30 days.   
    6. You will receive the vehicle registration certificate and the second part of the registration code by post.
      You will not receive a registration code if your vehicle is owned by a lease or finance company. In that case, the registration code is sent to the lease or finance company. The leasing company will forward the vehicle registration certificate to you.
  • Do you want to register the vehicle in your name? You can read here how you can identify yourself.

    Identification at a vehicle registration counter, RDW desk or RDW inspection station

    As a private person, you can identify yourself with one of the following documents (the document must be valid):

    • Dutch driving licence stating your date of birth
    • Dutch passport showing your citizen service number (BSN)
    • Dutch identity card showing your citizen service number (BSN)

    Identification at an RDW inspection station or RDW desk

    You can use one of the following documents only if you go to an RDW inspection station or an RDW desk:

    • Identity card or driving licence from a EU or EFTA country showing your date of birth
    • Diplomatic passport
    • Dutch travel document for foreign nationals
    • Dutch travel document for refugees
    • Service passport
    • Foreign passport

    Please note: you cannot register a vehicle with a residence permit. 

    Identification without Dutch citizen service number (BSN)

    Is your Dutch citizen service number (BSN/Burgerservicenummer) not on your identification document? Then you must also bring an extract from the Basisregistratie Personen (BRP/Personal Records Database). You can obtain this extract from your municipality. The extract must not be older than 3 months. Do ask specifically for an extract with BSN number. Municipalities do not issue this automatically.

    Do you have a diplomatic passport? Then you may also submit a statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (not older than 3 months) stating your citizen service number (BSN). 

  • Immediately check the transfer

    After the transfer of ownership, you can immediately check whether the vehicle is registered in your name. You can check via ‘Mijn RDW ’. Log in as a private person (only available in Dutch). You'll need the DigiD app or DigiD with sms check.

    Vehicle obligations

    If the vehicle is registered in your name, you are responsible for the vehicle obligations. What these obligations are, is explained under 'Vehicle obligations'.

    On the road without registration card

    You have registered the vehicle in your name, but you haven't received the vehicle registration card yet? You can already drive on the Dutch road. The Dutch police can directly check the vehicle register for your details. You must be able to show your registration card within 14 days after the vehicle was transferred.
    Please note: You are not allowed to drive your vehicle abroad without a registration certificate.

  • The fees for transferring ownership of a vehicle are always the same. It does not matter whether you transfer ownership with us or with a vehicle registration counter.


    Description Cost
    Registration in a person's name via the RDW €12,50
  • If you have a car, commercial car or camper registered to your (company) name, you must meet a number of obligations.

    1. Insurance
    2. APK (Periodic Technical Inspection)
    3. Motor vehicle tax
    4. Correct registration number plates


    A car, commercial car or camper must be insured from the moment it is registered in your name (in accordance with the Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Act (WAM)).

    You can take out liability insurance with an insurance company. This must be an insurance company authorised to make entries in the RDW's insurance register. This usually means that it has to be a Dutch company.

    When you take out the insurance, the insurance company asks you for the reporting code. This reporting code consists of the last 4 digits of the vehicle identification number (VIN). You can find the reporting code on the vehicle log book that you received when you bought the vehicle and on the registration card.

    APK (Periodic Technical Inspection)

    A car, commercial car or camper must be APK inspected (APK meaning Periodic Technical Inspection).

    Motor vehicle tax (MRB)

    You have to pay motor vehicle tax (MRB). When you register a vehicle registration certificate in your name, you automatically file a motor vehicle tax return at the same time. The Tax and Customs Administration will send you automatically an invoice for motor vehicle tax.
    For more information on motor vehicle tax, go to the site of the Tax and Customs Administration.

    Do you have a classic vehicle? You may be eligible for the tax arrangement for classic vehicles. Under this arrangement of the Tax and Customs Administration, you do not pay vehicle tax for your classic vehicle. However, you do have to comply with the insurance obligation and the APK obligation.
    For more information about the classic vehicle arrangement, ("oldtimerregeling") go to the site of the Tax and Customs Administration.

    Registration number plates

    You must have the correct registration number plates on your (camping/commercial) car.

    Suspend vehicle obligations

    You can suspend the obligations that come with owning a (camping/commercial) car by taking the vehicle "off the road". This is called suspension.

    Fines after routine checks of registered particulars

    We check the insurance register and the inspection register daily. This way we can immediately see whether a vehicle is insured and APK-approved. Each vehicle is checked in both registers at least once a year (100 percent check). We perform these checks on behalf of the Ministry of Justice and Security.
    If your car is not insured, you will be fined by the Central Judicial Collection Agency (CJIB) in Leeuwarden. If your car is not APK approved, you will also be fined by the CJIB. The Tax and Customs Administration checks via the vehicle register whether you have to pay motor vehicle tax (MRB) for your vehicle. If you do not pay (on time), you will be fined by the Tax and Customs Administration.

    Amount of the fine

    You can find the amount of the fine here (only available in Dutch). 

  • You have not received the vehicle registration certificate 5 working days after the transfer of ownership? Let us know (within 3 months) via a form. We will then send you the documents. Only the registered owner/holder may fill in the form.
  • You can't wait until we send you the vehicle registration certificate after the transfer? For example, because you are about to go on holiday abroad? Then you can submit an urgent request for the vehicle registration certificate.

    What you need to know first 

    • An urgent request is only possible when you buy a vehicle, not if you have lost the vehicle registration certificate.
    • An urgent request is only possible on the day of the transfer or on the next working day.
    • You have to pay extra for an urgent request.

    It works like this 

    • Go to a RDW inspection station or to our office in Zoetermeer or Veendam. 
    • You can identify yourself with a valid driving licence, passport or identity card.
    • You choose whether you pick up the vehicle registration certificate at RDW in Veendam, or have it delivered to your home by courier.
    • You pay extra for the urgent request. You pay these extra costs when submitting the application. You can pay in cash or by PIN.
    Description Cost
    Urgent rate when you collect the registration certificate in Veendam €61,50
    Express delivery of registration certificate €241,55

    Ready the same or next working day

    If you file your request before 11.45 a.m., you can pick up the vehicle registration certificate the same working day at RDW in Veendam. Or you can have the vehicle registration certificate delivered to your home the same working day.

    If you file your request after 11.45 a.m., you can pick up the vehicle registration certificate the next working day at RDW in Veendam. Or you can have the vehicle registration certificate delivered to your home the next working day.

This webpage is part of an EU quality network

Has this information helped you?