Driving licence lost or stolen
Requirements for online reporting
- You have a Dutch driving licence.
- This is the first time you report your driving licence missing or stolen
- You have DigiD
Driving licence confiscated abroad
Has your driving licence been confiscated abroad and you haven't got it back (yet)? Then you cannot report your driving licence missing/stolen. For more information, please contact your municipality.
Requirements for applying for a Dutch driving licence
- You have an EU nationality.
- You live in the Netherlands and you are registered with a Dutch municipality.
- You live in a country outside the EU and you have a Dutch correspondence address (we do not send mail to an address outside the Netherlands)
Do you live in an EU or EFTA country? You cannot apply for a Dutch driving licence. Apply for a driving licence in the country where you live. You will probably need a certificate of authenticity.
Have you lost your Dutch driving licence or has it been stolen? Or is it being misused? Contact us to make your driving licence invalid.
It works like this
- You log in with your DigiD by clicking the button 'Report lost driving licence'. (only available in Dutch)
- Fill in the details and click on 'send'.
- You will receive an email from us within a few minutes. We will block your driving licence immediately, so that nobody can take advantage of it.
- We will also send you a letter confirming that your driving licence is now invalid.
- Apply for a new driving licence to your municipality.
You found your driving licence again
We cannot undo a report of loss, theft or misuse. Did you find your driving licence again while you already have reported it lost? Then you must also apply for a new driving licence to the municipality. You must also turn in the driving licence you found again.
You can't do it online
You don't have DigiD and/or you have difficulties applying online? Go to the municipality and fill in a statement of loss. Do you live outside the Netherlands? See 'How to apply for a driving licence when you live abroad'.
- Report your driving licence missing or stolen. You can find more information under 'Reporting loss, theft or misuse of the driving licence'.
- Apply for a new driving licence to your municipality.
- Bring a colour passport photo and a valid ID.
I live in the EU
Do you live in a country in the EU or EFTA? You cannot apply for a Dutch driving licence. Apply for a driving licence in the country where you live. You will probably need a certificate of authenticity. Do report to us that your driving licence is missing or stolen, so that nobody can take advantage of it. You can find more information under 'Reporting loss, theft or misuse of Dutch driving licence'.
I live outside the EU
This is how you apply for a new driving licence if you live in a country outside the EU.
- Ask us for an application form by filling in the form Rijbewijs verlengen' (only available in Dutch)
- We will send the form to your Dutch correspondence address as soon as possible.
- Report your driving licence missing or stolen online. For more information, see 'Reporting loss, theft or misuse of the Dutch driving licence'. This does not work? Then fill in a Statement of loss.
- Send the form together with a colour passport photo (check photo matrix for requirements), a copy of a valid passport or ID and of the Dutch driving licence to RDW, Unit Rijbewijzen, Postbus 9000, 9640 HA Veendam.
- Pay the fees. You can also pay through direct debit. You can find more information under 'Fees'.
- We will process your application and assess it within 10 working days. Application approved? Then we will send the driving licence to the correspondence address in the Netherlands you have given us. If we cannot issue the driving licence, we will send you a letter.
Statement of loss
You can't report the loss, theft or misuse of your Dutch driving licence online? Then fill in a statement of loss and send it to: RDW, Unit Rijbewijzen, Postbus 9000, 9640 HA Veendam. You can also send the statement by e-mail using the contact form on this website.
After we received your statement, we will block your driving licence so that nobody can take advantage of it. We also register the driving licence as invalid in the Central Driving Licence Register.
Application to the municipality
You pay the municipality the fees for a new driving licence. Your municipality can give you more information about this.
Application to the RDW
Driving licence application for Dutch citizens living abroad €30,00
If you live in a country outside the EU, you pay the fees for a new driving licence to us. You can pay by direct debit or transfer the amount to account number 47 72 56 600 - IBAN NL NL25 ABNA 0477 2566 00 in the name of RDW. With your payment, you state:
- your driving licence number
- your personal details
Do you pay the fees from abroad? Specify in your payment the BIC code ABNANL2A and the International Banking Code NL25ABNA0477256600.
Driving licence of another EU country
Did you lose your driving licence and was this driving licence issued in an EU or EFTA country, Aruba or the former Netherlands Antilles? Follow these steps:
- Bring a Dutch police report to the town hall of the municipality where you are registered or apply at your municipality for a statement of loss.
- Bring a colour passport photo, a valid ID and a statement of authenticity. You can apply for a statement of authenticity to the foreign authority who has issued the driving licence.
- The municipality will forward your application to us. We will assess your application. Application approved? Then you will receive a letter telling you that you can pick up the driving licence at your municipality.
Driving licence of a country outside the EU
Have you lost your driving licence that was issued in a country outside the EU or EFTA, and not being Aruba or former Netherlands Antilles? Then you have to apply for a new driving licence in the country where the last driving licence was issued. This does not work? Then you will have to retake a driving test in the Netherlands.