When you apply for a driving licence or for the renewal of your driving licence, CBR must have a Fitness Certificate registered in the Central Driving Licence Register.
You apply for a Health attestation:
- together with your application for your first driving licence and each time you achieve entitlement for a different driving licence category (except moped licence: AM category).
- If you are 75 years or older and you want to renew your driving licence.
- If you have a medical restriction or health condition that could affect your ability to drive.
- When you exchange a driving licence from a country outside the EU/EFTA
- When you want to exchange an EU/EFTA driving licence whose validity is shorter than the usual period in that country.
- When you want to exchange an EU/EFTA driving licence with a restrictive endorsement that is not listed on the driving licence as a code (as set within the EU) (except for lenses, glasses or automatic transmission).
- Fill in a Health attestation.
- You can buy this form online via 'Mijn CBR' or at a CBR location. See the website of CBR for a recent overview of CBR locations.
- In most municipalities, you can also buy a health statement at the town hall. Check this in advance with your municipality.
- Send the Health attestation to CBR.
- CBR assesses whether you are medically fit or if an additional examination is required. If you are medically fit, CBR will register a VvG (Fitness Certificate) the driving licence register. CBR will send you a letter to confirm this.
Medical examination for a truck driving licence
Do you want to apply for a driving licence C or D, or do you want to renew such a driving licence? Then you must always be examined by a company doctor or a health and safety doctor. You do not want a medical examination? Then you can temporarily waive entitlement to categories C or D. This means that you are temporarily no longer entitled to drive vehicles of these categories. You apply for a driving licence to your municipality and indicate that you want to put the categories C and/or D on hold. Then you are not required to take a medical examination. Your renewed driving licence will then only show the lower category entitlements. When you want to get your higher category entitlements back, you must take a medical examination after all. Then you apply for a new driving licence, so that the higher category entitlements are back on your driving licence.
Medical examination senior citizens
It is important that senior citizens can safely participate in traffic. That is why a medical examination is required if you apply for or renew your driving licence and you are of a certain age. This is relevant for the following age categories:
You are between 65 and 70 years old
If you renew your driving licence, you will receive a driving licence that is valid until your 75th birthday. No medical examination is required .Sometimes you do have to fill in a Health attestation. For more information, go to www.cbr.nl/gezondheidsverklaring.
You are 70 years old or over
- If you renew your driving licence, it will be valid for a maximum of 5 years. No medical examination is required .Sometimes you do have to fill in a Health attestation.
- If your driving licence expires on or after your 75th birthday, you must undergo and pass a medical examination with a doctor in order to be able to renew your driving licence. The renewed driving licence is valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- For more information, go to www.cbr.nl/gezondheidsverklaring.
You are 75 years old or over
Does your driving licence expire on or after your 75th birthday and you want to renew it? Then you have to undergo and pass a medical examination with a doctor. For more information, go to the website of CBR.
Medical restriction or physical disability
Do you have a medical restriction or a physical disability? Then you will receive a driving licence that is valid for a limited time. When you renew your driving licence, you must undergo and pass a medical examination with a doctor. For more information about medical restrictions, visit the website of CBR.
You have to pay for a Health attestation and a medical examination. For more information, go to the website of CBR.
- It is wise to start the medical examination well before your driving licence expires. Sometimes CBR refers you to a medical specialist. Be aware that there is a waiting time. CBR tries to process all requests for a Fitness Certificate (VvG) as quickly as possible, in any case within 4 months.
- The registration of the Fitness Certificate (VvG) is valid for one year. This means that you have 1 year to apply for your driving licence to the municipality.