Exporting a vehicle

Do you want to export your vehicle? Or is it already abroad? Register your car for export. Only then will the insurance obligation, MOT obligation and road tax end.
    • Which documents are required for import?

      Ask in the country where you are importing the vehicle which documents you need there. Please note! Do not deregister your vehicle for export before you know which documents you need there.

    • You lost your registration certificate

      Have you lost your registration certificate? Then first apply for a new registration certificate. You need it for importing the vehicle abroad. You can not apply for a new registration certificate if the vehicle has already been de-registered for export.
    • Name on the export certificate

      Are you selling the vehicle to someone abroad? Make sure that the buyer exports the vehicle in his name, so that his details will be on the export certificate (registration certificate part II). This means that the buyer is responsible for the vehicle from that moment on. If you arrange the export, you remain responsible for the vehicle until it is registered abroad.
    • Individual Approval certificate

      The vehicle does not have a registration certificate and only an Individual Approval Certificate (IGC)? An individual approval certificate is valid only in the country where it was issued. Another country may decide to take it over, but it is up to you to check. We have no information about that.

    1. Go to one of our inspection stations, counters or to a recognised export company (a company near you which has been recognised by us). You can find a registered export company with the RDW location finder (only available in Dutch).
    2. You bring:
    • A valid ID.
    • The registration card with the registration code or the paper registration certificate. 
      Are you the registered owner? In that case, it's not a problem if you don't have the registration code or the Transfer certificate with you when you come to de-register the vehicle at an inspection station or counter.
    • Registration number plates, if issued. No registration number plates have been issued? Then you must only de-register your vehicle at an inspection station or counter.
    • Is the vehicle registered to a company? Then bring a signed extract from the Chamber of Commerce (not older than 1 year).
      Are you not the authorised signatory? Please also bring a copy of proof of identity from the authorised signatory and an authorisation from the authorised signatory.

    3.  Pay the fees.

    4.  We or the export company will de-register your vehicle from the vehicle registration register. From that moment on, the vehicle is removed from the Dutch vehicle registration register.

    5.  The agent will give you:

    • A certificate of indemnification (proof that the vehicle has been de-registered).
    • The registration certificate (registration card) with one of the corners cut off or the Certificate of Ascription (Part 1B).
    • The export certificate (registration certificate part II). You need this certificate, together with the registration card or the certificate of ascription, for registration abroad.

    6.  Is your vehicle going to a country outside the European Union or EFTA? Go to Customs for an 'export declaration'.

  • Are you or the buyer driving the vehicle from the Netherlands abroad? You are allowed to drive for 14 days with the export certificate (registration certificate part II). Before you leave the country, inquire whether you are allowed to drive on public roads abroad with the export certificate and an export number plate. The rules in other countries may differ from the rules in the Netherlands.

    If you are driving on public roads in the Netherlands, the following rules apply:

    • Your vehicle must be insured.
    • Your vehicle must have a valid APK/MOT.
    • Your vehicle carries export registration plates

    Export export registration plate

    An export registration plate is a white plate with the existing vehicle registration number in indelible numbers/letters. You are allowed to make these plates yourself. However, they must be made in such a way that the registration plate is always legible, even in bad weather. You can also have the registration plates made at a recognised registration plate supplier. Bring the registration card or registration certificate part 1A. You can find a registered number plate supplier with the RDW location guide.

    Motor vehicle tax (BPM)

    Sometimes you get a part of the BPM back. For more info, contact the Tax and Customs Administration.

  • Description Cost
    Exporting a vehicle through the RDW €12,00
    Are you exporting the vehicle with a recognised export company in your area? The company sets their own price for the export notification. For more information, please contact the company where you are exporting the vehicle.
  • How to cancel the Dutch registration of your vehicle because the vehicle remains abroad:

    1. Go to the form by clicking the 'Register export' button.
    2. Fill in the form and add a copy of the foreign vehicle registration document. Click on ‘Send’.
    3. We will assess your application in 5 working days. Application approved? The registration of your vehicle will stop on the approval date. You will receive a confirmation letter. Cancel your insurance only after you received this confirmation letter.

    You can't submit the notification for export online? Please contact our customer service.

  • Is your vehicle already abroad and are you unable to deregister your vehicle for export in the Netherlands? The foreign authority may then reject your application for importation abroad because you do not have all the documents for registration. What can you do? There are two options:

    1. Someone else arranges for the export on your behalf
    2. You apply for a ‘Declaration of no objection’

    Someone else arranges for the export on your behalf

    Are you unable to come to the Netherlands to take care of the export? Ask a contact person in the Netherlands to do this for you. Please note: the name of the person organising the export will be on the export certificate (registration certificate part II). First check with the foreign authority if this is a problem. Subsequently, you submit the registration certificate and the export certificate to the foreign authority to have the vehicle registered. Under 'It works like this' you find an explanation about de-registering a vehicle for export: Check carefully what the contact person has to bring.

    Declaration of no objection

    Within the EU, agreements have been made about permission to register a vehicle if the applicant does not have all the vehicle registration papers. This is called a ‘declaration of no objection’. What do you need to do?

    • Contact the foreign authority where you applied for the registration of the vehicle.
    • Ask if the authority is willing to ask us for permission to re-register the vehicle. You cannot ask for permission yourself. The foreign authority has to do this on your behalf.

    Did you successfully register your vehicle abroad? Don't forget to cancel the registration in the Netherlands. You can de-register online. For more information, see ‘Cancel the registration of your vehicle in the Netherlands.

This webpage is part of an EU quality network

Has this information helped you?