Applying for National Type Approval for special mopeds
Manufacturers of special mopeds with a designation may bring the vehicles to market based on this designation until 31 December 2026. After 31 December 2026, designated special mopeds may only be brought to market if they were included in a manufacturer's trade inventory with a designation no later than 31 December 2026.
If you want to produce new special mopeds, you must submit an application for a national type approval with us. Applications are accepted starting 1 January 2024.
To admit a special moped, follow these 2 steps:
1. Bring a new type of special moped to the market
If the vehicle does not qualify for a European type approval (Framework Regulation (EU) No. 168/2013), we can examine whether the vehicle can be brought to the Dutch market under the conditions applicable for national type approval for special mopeds. We do this based on the admission framework included in the Vehicle Regulations and the policy rules applicable to special mopeds (in Dutch). To have the vehicle approved for public roads, you must submit an application to the RDW.
2. Submit a request for national type approval for a special moped
You can notify us of your request for national type approval by sending an email to [email protected].
Please include the following information:
- Your contact details.
- That you are submitting an application for national type approval for a special moped.
- Send as much documentation as possible pertaining to the vehicle that you are submitting the application for.
We will register your application and you will receive a confirmation by email within 2 weeks. We will then contact you about the remainder of the process. The application consists of 2 parts. As such, please take note of the following:
- Regarding the vehicle: We will make arrangements with you about the technical assessment of the vehicle that you are submitting the application for.
- Regarding you as a manufacturer: Part of the application is our assessment of the Conformity of Production (CoP) with regards to the way you produce the vehicle. In addition to the technical assessment of the vehicle, you have to be admitted as a manufacturer of special mopeds. This is a requirement for national type approval to be issued to you.
The first step of the application consists of an intake interview. In this conversation, we will discuss the process of the application, expectations, and confidentiality.
Responsibility of the applicant
As an applicant, you have various obligations. This includes maintaining a quality system ensuring that all produced vehicles have the same quality as the approved vehicle. In addition, you have to report intended changes to the vehicle to us and maintain a register of produced vehicles. As an applicant, you are responsible for the safety of each vehicle. We supervise the production process.
The costs of testing or assessments of the application are borne by the applicant. The costs of the technical inspection of the vehicle, the assessment of the quality system, and the costs of supervision by the RDW are at the applicant’s expense as well. Such inspections are tailor-made, there are no fixed rates. The final costs will be calculated based on the current hourly rate, as published in the RDW's tariff decision.