Can I exchange a foreign driving licence
Everyone who lives in the Netherlands or settles in the Netherlands, has a residence permit. A residence permit says if you have the Dutch nationality or what your residence status is. You can show this with a valid identification- or residence document. For more information about your residence status please contact the municipality where you are registered.
When is exchanging possible?
A driving licence issued in one of the countries of the EU or EFTA can be exchanged for a Dutch driving licence. Driving licences issued in the following countries can only be exchanged if they are valid for the stated categories:
- Taiwan - B - passenger vehicle - Dutch driving licence category B
- Israel - B - passenger vehicle - Dutch driving licence category B
- Japan IB - passenger vehicle and motorcycle in excess of 400 cm3 - Dutch driving licence categories A and B
- Singapore - Class 2 - motorcycle in excess of 400 cm³ and Class 3 - passenger vehicle - Dutch driving licence categories A and B
- Andorra - passenger vehicle - Dutch driving licence category B
- South Korea - second class ordinary licence - Dutch driving licence category B
- Canadian province Quebec – Class 5 – Dutch driving licence category B
- Aruba- all categories
- Netherlands Antilles- all categories
- Jersey- all categories
- Man- all categories
- Monaco- all categories
Conditions exchanging driving licence issued outside the EU
One condition for exchanging a driving licence issued outside the EU is that the driving licence must be valid at the time of application. A European driving licence may be expired, in that case you need a declaration from the agency (where the driving licence was issued) in which they say they have no objection against the issuing of a Dutch driving licence.
In addition, a driving licence must have been issued in a particular year in which the applicant was resident in the country of issue for at least 185 days. As evidence you can send us for example copies from your passport (including blank pages), airplane-tickets, employer's certificate with salary- or tax documents.
Is your foreign driving licence an extension of a former driving licence from the same country? Please send evidence indicating this.
Already had a Dutch driving licence before?
Have you already had a Dutch driving licence before (valid after the 30th of June 1985), you only have to proof the conditions listed above for the categories you did not have on your previous Dutch driving licence.
Not possible to exchange your driving licence?
If it is not possible for you to exchange your driving licence, you must take a standard theory and practical driving test at the CBR.