Transferring the ownership of a vehicle

When you buy a new car you must have the registration number transferred into your name. The way you do this depends on whether you have bought the vehicle from a private individual, from a legal entity or from a company recognised by the Netherlands National Vehicle and Driving Licence Registration Authority (RDW). You can transfer the registration number at a vehicle registration office, or at an RDW testing centre or vehicle registration service desk (Zoetermeer, Den Bosch or Veendam).

Conditions for transfer

  • You must transfer the registration into your name or company name yourself.
  • If you want to transfer it to the name of a legal entity, you can authorise someone to do it for you by means of a one-off authorisation.
  • You must be 18 years old or over (16 if you want to transfer a moped to your name).
  • You must be a resident of the Netherlands and be registered in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen (BRP)) of the municipality where you live

Transferring the number at a vehicle registration office or RDW service desk

Follow these steps:

  1. Ask the vehicle seller for: - the original registration number allocation document (Part IB) and the transfer document or - the vehicle registration document in credit card format (vehicle registration card) and the registration number.
  2. Take the documents you need to the vehicle registration office or RDW service desk. Do not forget to take a valid form of identification with you. And pay the fee.


Registration in a person's name via the RDW €10,75

3. The vehicle will be transferred into your name and you will be given a registration report. This is a written record of the transaction showing the first four digits of the registration code. Tip: The code is often printed on a type of till receipt, so it is a good idea to keep a record of it somewhere safe. You can copy the first four digits to the letter containing the second part of the code. You can then dispose of the receipt.

5. You will also be given a document showing that the vehicle is no longer registered in the name of the seller. This is called a discharge document. Discharge documents are given to sellers so that they can prove they are no longer responsible for the vehicle.

6. From the moment you do this, you are responsible for the obligations associated with having a vehicle registered in your name.

7. The RDW will send you the new vehicle registration card and the second part of the registration number allocation code on the next working day (or the same day if you transfer the registration before 16.00). You will not receive an allocation code if your vehicle is owned by a leasing or finance company and an issue restriction has been placed against the registration number in the national vehicle registration system. This indicates that the registration number allocation code is always sent to the leasing or finance company. 

Check whether the vehicle is in your name

You can log in to ''Mijn RDW'' (select ‘private individual’) immediately after you have transferred the vehicle registration number to check whether the vehicle is registered in your name. To do that, you will need a DigiD app or DigiD with SMS verification.

If you do not receive your vehicle registration document

How soon you receive the vehicle registration document and registration number allocation code depends on the delivery time by post. You should let the RDW know if you do not receive it within 5 working days. For more information, go to 'Vehicle registration certificate or registration code not received'.

What do you need to transfer your car?

You will need the following documents to transfer a vehicle:


Transferring a car into your name without a driving licence

You can transfer a vehicle without a driving licence, but you will always need a valid form of identification.

Lost registration document

If the seller has lost all of part of the registration document and/or registration number allocation code he or she must apply to the RDW for a new registration certificate or a new registration code before selling the vehicle to you.

Transferring a car on Sundays or in the evening

You can transfer a car on Sundays or in the evening if you choose a local vehicle registrationoffice near you with the right opening times. Click here to find your local Post NL office or  Kentekenloket BV (vehicle registration office).  

Checking the document number and registration number

If the vehicle you are buying or selling has a registration document in credit card format (vehicle registration card), you can use the free  ‘check document number’ service to find out whether a registration card is the one most recently issued for a vehicle. You can check whether a vehicle registration card and registration number allocation code belong together using the free  ‘check documentnumber/registration allocation number service’.

Driving without a vehicle registration card

If you have registered the vehicle in your name but have not yet received the vehicle registration card you can still drive it in the Netherlands. The Dutch police can search the national vehicle licence register to find your details. You must be able to show the vehicle registration card 14 days after registering the vehicle in your name. NB: You cannot drive your vehicle abroad without a vehicle registration card.

Buying a vehicle from a vehicle dealer

If you buy a vehicle direct from the stock of a dealer you can register it in your name on the spot if the dealer has RDW approval to allocate vehicle registration numbers. Approved dealers display the following RDW badge or sticker:

Dealer with direct sales approval

A dealer that only has direct sales approval will arrange for the vehicle to be registered in your name via a vehicle registration office. You must sign an authorisation form which the dealer completes and prints out for you. You can also go to a vehicle registration office yourself, in which case the seller will give you a temporary document number and a registration code.

Find out more

Possible combinations of registration documents.


Click on this image to go to the Your Europe websiteClick on the image to help us improve