How can I exchange a foreign driving licence

If you meet certain conditions, you can exchange a foreign driving licence for a Dutch driving licence.

Exchange at the municipality

If you have a foreign driving licence and wish to exchange it for a Dutch driving licence, you can apply for an exchange at the municipality where you are registered. They will forward your application to the RDW. If you send the application directly to RDW, the application will not be processed. You need the following at your application:

  • Valid identity papers
  • Your foreign driving licence
  • A photo
In some cases you need a ‘Verklaring van geschiktheid’ (Certificate of Fitness). 

If your driving licence is missing or stolen, you need an official report of the loss/theft of the driving licence.

Waive rights to heavier categories

If you are in the possession of a foreign driving licence with one of the categories C1, C, C1E, CE, D1, D, D1E and DE and you do not want to undergo a health examination, then it is possible to waive your rights to these heavier categories. In order to do this, you can complete a so-called waiver form. This does not mean you have waived your rights to these heavier categories permanently. If you send in a new application, accompanied by a Certificate of Fitness, your rights to these categories are restored. Below you can download the waiver form.

Driving licence not readable

Do you have a driving licence which was drawn in punctuation not used in the Netherlands (for example Japanese or Greek)? You need a translation of the concerning driving licence, issued by a sworn interpreter, the embassy or the consulate.

Downloading the ‘Waiver form’

Below you can download the Waiver form.

Waiver foreign driving licence (pdf, 175kb)