Exporting a vehicle with a Dutch registration number

If you want to export a vehicle with a Dutch registration number, you must cancel the registration of that vehicle with the Netherlands Vehicle Authority. This is important because it means you cease to be liable for the vehicle and the vehicle obligations come to an end. You cancel the registration with the Netherlands Vehicle Authority by notifying them of the export of the vehicle.

Vehicle needs foreign registration number

Does the vehicle need to be assigned a registration number abroad? Before you register the vehicle for export with the Netherlands Vehicle Authority, find out what documents are needed for import into the country in question. If you need the registration certificate to import the vehicle, you still have the option of applying for a replacement registration certificate.

Registering the vehicle for export

This is how you register your vehicle for export:

  1. Go to a testing station or the RDW desks in Zoetermeer and Veendam (on working days between 8 am and 5 pm) or an approved export company of the Netherlands Vehicle Authority. You can find these companies in the RDW-locatiewijzer.  Choose 'Mijn voertuig exporteren'. These companies can be identified by the Netherlands Vehicle Authority wall sign plus approval sticker. Find out the company’s opening times.
  2. Take the following with you:
    - The registration certificate (Part 1B) and the Part II document (proof of holdership); or
    the registration card with the registration code;
      The Part II document (proof of holdership) or registration code is not needed if   the registered owner/keeper comes in person;
    - Valid proof of identification;
    - Number plates (not necessary if number plates have never been made/issued for this vehicle (this is only possible at a testing station or counter of the Netherlands Vehicle Authority))
    - Copy of extract from Chamber of Commerce (if legal person) no more than 1 year old;
    - Authorisation of the authorised signatory (if a legal person and if you   yourself are not the authorised signatory).
  3. You pay the costs.
    Omschrijving Kosten
    Voertuig bij de RDW exporteren €10,30
  4. The Netherlands Vehicle Authority removes the vehicle from the register and the registration is cancelled immediately.
  5. You receive the following from the official:
    - a certificate of indemnification (proof that the registration has been cancelled);
    - the registration certificate (Part 1B) or the registration card (with a corner clipped off);
    - paper registration certificate part II for export. You will need this registration certificate part II, together with the registration card or registration code, to register the vehicle abroad.
  6. The registration certificate part II allows you to drive on public roads in the Netherlands for a maximum of a further 14 days, but for no longer than the PTI is valid. The following conditions apply:
    - the vehicle is insured for these 14 days (or for as long as the PTI is valid);
    - you put the existing licence plate numbers on to white plates using black indelible ink. You can make the licence plates yourself. Cardboard plates are not allowed. Make sure that the licence plate is legible in bad weather as well. Or you can have them made at an approved number plate manufacturer, after showing the registration card or registration certificate part 1A (vehicle certificate).
  7. If the vehicle is going to a country outside the European Union, you will also have to go to customs to make an ‘Export Declaration’.
  8. Under certain circumstances you may be able to reclaim part of the vehicle tax paid. Contact the tax authority to find out more.

Ideally, the person who applies for the foreign registration number should also be the one to arrange the export with the Netherlands Vehicle Authority.

Click on this image to go to the Your Europe websiteClick on the image to help us improve