Extending a suspension of registration online
If you decide to suspend the registration of your car for a longer period of time, you can extend the suspension. The RDW will send a reminder letter one month before the end of a suspension.
You can extend your suspension online 24 hours a day, no earlier than 6 weeks before the end date. The new end date will then correspond to the end date of the old suspension plus your chosen suspension period of either 1, 2 or 3 years. If you extend the suspension earlier than 6 weeks before the end date, you will not keep the old expiry date. In this case, the new suspension will take effect for 1, 2 or 3 years as from the date on which you extend the suspension.
Wat kunt u doen?
Logging in with DigiD
If you want to extend a suspension of registration online, you need DigiD to log in. If you do not have DigiD, you can get it free of charge at www.digid.nl.
Extending a suspension of registration
To extend a suspension of registration online:
- Go to Requesting or extending a suspension of registration. This will take you to the DigiD screen, where you can log in. Provide the requested details in DigiD and then you will be taken to the RDW service.
- Select the registration number of the vehicle for which you want to extend the suspension of registration.
- Choose how long you want to extend the suspension of registration: 1, 2 or 3 years and pay the fee via iDEAL.
- You will receive a confirmation of the request by email. You will receive a second email from the RDW as soon as the renewal has become final. This email also contains the end date of the suspension of registration (see ‘expected end date’). Print and keep this email. It serves as your proof of suspension of registration.
Registration certificate remains valid
The registration certificate (paper or credit card format) remains valid. You will not receive a new registration certificate after the suspension of registration.
Conditions for extending a suspension of registration online
The vehicle must be registered in your name. If the vehicle is registered in the name of your company, you can still arrange for the extension of the suspension of registration online. For more information, go to suspending, extending or ending the suspension of the registration of a company car (article only available in Dutch).
Having the extension of the suspension of registration arranged by someone else
If you are unable to request the suspension of registration yourself, someone else can do it for you. This is only possible if you have a registration card. If you have a paper registration certificate, you will have to arrange this at a RDW desk.
To have someone else arrange a suspension of registration for you:
- The person requesting the suspension for you must be at least 18 years of age (16 in the case of scooters/mopeds).
- The person who is extending the suspension of registration on your behalf needs to go to Requesting or extending a suspension of registration and then log in using their own DigiD. This will take them to the RDW service.
- When asked ‘Do you own the vehicle?’, they must select: No.
- In order to arrange for the suspension, they will need your registration card document number and the corresponding registration number allocation code.
- They must choose the amount of time by which you want to extend the suspension of the vehicle: 1, 2 or 3 years and pay the fee via iDEAL.
- The RDW will send confirmation of the request to the specified email address.The extension becomes final as soon as a second email from the RDW arrives at that email address. This email also contains the end date of the suspension of registration (see ‘expected end date’).
- You will receive a new registration number allocation code by post. Your registration certificate remains valid.
Reminder letter in your Message Box (Berichtenbox)
Have you created a Message Box on MijnOverheid and specified that that is where you would like to receive mail from the RDW? If so, you will receive the reminder letter regarding the end of the suspension of registration not by post, but in this Message Box.
Not possible to carry out procedure online
If you are unable to extend the suspension of registration online, you can also request the suspension at a vehicle registration help desk or RDW customer service point.
For passenger cars aged less than 15 years, you will pay the ‘normal rate’. For passenger cars aged 15 years or more, you will pay the ‘low rate’. The ‘low rate’ also applies if you are extending a suspension of registration.
|Reguest or extend a suspension of registration at the RDW's normal rate||€75,65|
|Reguest or extend a suspension of registration at the RDW's low rate||€24,95|