Requesting a suspension of registration for collectors of old vehicles online
A suspension of registration takes effect immediately and lasts for 1, 2 or 3 years. It is not possible to specify a date in the future. At the end of your chosen suspension period, the suspension of the registration ends automatically and you must immediately comply with the obligations attached to the vehicle again. You can also extend the suspension.
Advantageous suspension scheme for collectors
If you have more than five old vehicles of 15 years of age or older registered in your name, the RDW offers you an advantageous suspension scheme. This scheme applies only to vehicles of 15 years of age or older and to scooters and mopeds with a date of first authorisation of 31 August 2005 or earlier on the registration certificate. You only have to pay for the suspension of registration of five of those vehicles. From the sixth vehicle onwards, the suspension is free of charge, even if it is for a relatively long period.
Has a paid suspension come to an end? If so, you must pay for the next suspension so that you have five paid suspensions again.
Logging in with DigiD
Suspending the registration of several vehicles online
To suspend the registration of several vehicles under the collectors’ scheme:
- Go to Requesting or extending a suspension of registration. This will take you to the DigiD screen, where you can log in.
- Provide the requested details in DigiD and then you will be taken to the RDW service.
- Each vehicle for which you want to suspend registration must be entered separately. Follow points 4 to 6 for each vehicle.
- Select the registration number of the vehicle for which you want to suspend registration.
- Choose how long you want to suspend the registration of the vehicle: 1, 2 or 3 years.
- Pay the fee via iDEAL, if there is one. This rate applies to the first five vehicles of 15 years of age or older. The sixth and all subsequent suspensions of a vehicle of 15 years of age and older are free of charge.
- You will receive a confirmation of your request by email
- The registration will be suspended only once you have received a second email from the RDW. This email also contains the end date of the suspension of registration (see ‘expected end date’). You should print this email and keep it.
Registration certificate remains valid
The registration certificate (paper or credit card format) remains valid.
Conditions for suspending registration online
- The vehicles must be registered in your name.
- Vehicles must be 15 years of age or older, except for scooters and mopeds. In order for this to be the case, the date of first authorisation on the registration certificate must be 31 August 2005 or earlier. Later dates are excluded from the scheme.
Driving a vehicle that has had its registration suspended
A vehicle that has had its registration suspended may not be driven or parked on public roads. There are two exceptions to this:
- You may drive a vehicle that has had its registration suspended to an APK roadworthiness test station to undergo the test. In this case, you must have the appointment confirmation with you, stating the time of the appointment, and the vehicle must have third-party liability insurance.
- You are only allowed to drive from your home address to the address where you are having the APK roadworthiness test carried out and you may do so only around the time of the appointment.
- You may drive a vehicle that has had its registration suspended and is 15 years or older to events. In order to do so, however, you must register for the event scheme with the tax administration.
- If you no longer comply with the obligations attached to the vehicle (insurance, APK roadworthiness testing and motor vehicle tax) and you have not suspended the registration of your vehicle, you will receive a fine. The amount of the fine can be found in the fine database of the Public Prosecution Service (Openbaar Ministerie, OM).
- If you end the suspension of registration within 1 month of its start date, you will still have to pay motor vehicle tax for the period in which the registration was suspended. In such cases, the tax administration will send you a tax adjustment notice. For more information, go to the Dutch Tax and Customs administration’s website.
- After the suspension of registration, you can stop the insurance yourself. The RDW informs the tax administration that the registration has been suspended. The motor vehicle tax then stops automatically.
- You do not have to inform the RDW of where you park the vehicles. The tax administration may ask you about this.
Having the suspension of registration arranged by someone else
If you are unable to request the suspension of registration yourself, someone else can do it for you. This is only possible if you have a registration card. If you have a paper registration certificate, you will have to arrange this at a help desk.
To have the suspension of registration arranged by someone else:
- The person who is suspending the registration on your behalf must go to Requesting or extending a suspension of registration and then log in using their own DigiD.
- This will take them to the RDW service.
- When asked ‘Do you own the vehicle?’, they must select: No.
- In order to arrange for the suspension, they will need your registration card document number and the corresponding registration number allocation code.
- They must choose how long you want to suspend the registration of each vehicle: 1, 2 or 3 years.
- They must pay the fee via iDEAL, if there is one.
- The RDW will send confirmation of the request to the specified email address.
- The registration will be suspended as soon as a second email from the RDW arrives at that email address.
You will receive a new registration number allocation code by post. Your registration certificate remains valid.
The person requesting the suspension for you must be at least 18 years of age (16 in the case of scooters/mopeds). Fees You have to pay the fees for the first five vehicles. From the sixth vehicle onwards, the suspension of registration is free of charge.
|Reguest or extend a suspension of registration at the RDW's low rate||€24,95|
|Reguest or extend a suspension of registration at the RDW's low rate for 2 years||€48,20|
|Reguest or extend a suspension of registration at the RDW's low rate for 3 years||€72,30|
Log in using your European login tool
Citizens of EU Member States who do not have DigiD can log in using an EU-approved login tool. This allows you to log in with your country’s national login tool.
N.B. you need a Dutch social security number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN) and Dutch bank account for this.