Requesting a suspension of registration online
Wat kunt u doen?
You can suspend the registration of your car for 1, 2 or 3 years. It takes effect immediately. It is not possible to specify a date in the future. At the end of your chosen suspension period, the suspension of the registration ends automatically and you must immediately comply with the obligations attached to the vehicle again. You can also extend the suspension.
Logging in with DigiD
Requesting a suspension of registration
To request a suspension of registration online:
- Go to Requesting or extending a suspension of registration.This will take you to the DigiD screen, where you can log in.
- Provide the requested details in DigiD and then you will be taken to the RDW service.
- Select the registration number of the vehicle for which you want to suspend registration.
- Choose how long you want to suspend the registration of the vehicle: 1, 2 or 3 years.
- Pay the fee via iDEAL.
- You will receive a confirmation of the request by email.
- The registration will be suspended only once you have received a second email from the RDW. This email also specifies the end date of the suspension of registration (see ‘expected end date’). Print and save this email, as it serves as your proof of the suspension of registration.
|Reguest or extend a suspension of registration at the RDW's normal rate||€75,65|
|Reguest or extend a suspension of registration at the RDW's low rate||€24,95|
Registration certificate remains valid
The registration certificate (paper or credit card format) remains valid. You will not receive a new registration certificate after the suspension of registration.
Conditions for suspending registration online
The vehicle must be registered in your name. If the vehicle is registered in the name of your company, you can still arrange for the suspension online. For more information, go to Suspending, extending or ending the suspension of the registration of a company car.
Driving a vehicle that has had its registration suspended
A vehicle that has had its registration suspended may not be driven or parked on public roads. There are two exceptions to this:
- You may drive a vehicle that has had its registration suspended to an APK roadworthiness test station to undergo the test. In this case, you must have the appointment confirmation with you, stating the time of the appointment, and the vehicle must have third-party liability insurance. You are only allowed to drive from your home address to the address where you are having the APK roadworthiness test carried out and you may do so only around the time of the appointment.
- You may drive a vehicle that has had its registration suspended and is 15 years or older to events. In order to do so, however, you must register for the event scheme with the tax administration.
Important to know when suspending registration
- If you no longer comply with the obligations attached to the vehicle (insurance, APK roadworthiness testing and motor vehicle tax) and you have not suspended the registration of your vehicle, you will receive a fine. The amount of the fine can be found in the fine database of the Public Prosecution Service (Openbaar Ministerie, OM).
- The suspension of registration takes effect from the date on which you request the suspension and runs until the same date either 1, 2 or 3 years later, depending on the suspension period that you choose. This could be, for example, from 10 January 2019 to 10 January 2022.
- You can also terminate a suspension of registration earlier if you want to use your vehicle on public roads again. You will not get any money back.
- If you terminate the suspension of registration within 1 month of its start date, you will still have to pay motor vehicle tax for the period in which the registration certificate was suspended. In such cases, the tax administration will send you a tax adjustment notice. Find out more about this on the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration’s website.
- After the suspension of registration, you can stop the insurance yourself. The RDW informs the tax administration that the registration has been suspended. The motor vehicle tax then stops automatically.
- If the vehicle is given a different registration number, after having been converted into a mobile home, for example, the suspension of registration will continue on the new registration number.
Having the suspension of registration arranged by someone else
If you are unable to request the suspension of registration yourself, someone else can do it for you. This is only possible if you have a registration card. If you have a paper registration certificate, you will have to arrange this at a help desk.
To have the suspension of registration arranged by someone else:
- The person who is suspending the registration on your behalf must go to Requesting or extending a suspension of registration and then log in using their own DigiD.
- This will take them to the RDW service.
- When asked ‘Do you own the vehicle?’, they must select: No.
- In order to arrange for the suspension, they will need your registration card document number and the corresponding registration code.
- They must choose how long you want to suspend the registration of the vehicle: 1, 2 or 3 years.
- They must pay the fee via iDEAL.
- The RDW will send confirmation of the request to the specified email address.
- The registration will be suspended as soon as a second email from the RDW arrives at that email address.
You will receive a new registration code by post. Your registration certificate remains valid. The person requesting the suspension for you must be at least 18 years of age (16 in the case of scooters/mopeds).
For passenger cars aged less than 15 years, you will pay the ‘normal rate’. For passenger cars aged 15 years or more, you will pay the ‘low rate’. The ‘low rate’ also applies if you are extending a suspension of registration. NB: You will not get any money back if you terminate the suspension early.
Log in using your European login tool
Citizens of EU Member States who do not have DigiD can login using an EU-approved login tool. This allows you to log in with your country’s national login tool. N.B. you need a Dutch social security number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN) and Dutch bank account for this.
Not possible to carry out procedure online
If you are unable to request a suspension of registration online, you can also go to a vehicle registration help desk or RDW customer service point. For more information, go to Requesting a suspension of registration via a help desk.