Terminating a vehicle registration (does not apply to scrapping, export or suspension of registration)
It is possible in a number of cases to discontinue the registration of your vehicle licence in the RDW’s licence register. In such cases, the registration is declared to be revoked. You will then no longer have to comply with the vehicle obligations (APK roadworthiness testing, motor vehicle tax and the obligation to take out insurance).
Temporarily not using your car
If you decide not to use your car for a relatively long period of time, you can suspend the registration of the vehicle temporarily.
You can discontinue the registration if you:
- are going to use your vehicle in education, for example at a driving school or fire service;
- are going to use your vehicle for a cross-country racing event;
- are going to use your vehicle solely for business purposes on your own business premises (to carry out business activities);
- are going to use your vehicle as a museum vehicle (not for personal collection).
Applying to discontinue your registration online
You can request to terminate your vehicle registration online by doing the following:
- Fill in the form ‘Request to terminate registration’ in full.
- You must attach the required documents (as specified on the form). Find out here how you can add a document to the form. (article only available in Dutch)
- Click ‘Send’.
- The RDW will assess your application and send you a letter within 5 working days. This will tell you whether your application has been approved or rejected.
Applying to discontinue your registration in writing
If you are unable to apply to discontinue your registration online, go to: ‘Discontinuing your vehicle registration because you are not using public roads; written application’.