Have you not received a registration certificate or registration code?

Did you recently apply for a registration card or registration code and did you not receive it within 5 working days? You can report this to the RDW via a form. This is also the case if you have purchased a vehicle, have had it transferred over to your name and have not received a registration card and/or registration code.

Only the registered owner/keeper can fill in the form. Is the vehicle registered in the name of a garage or does it form part of the stock? If so, go to Registration card or registration code not received – for companies.

Informing the RDW within 3 months

If it has been more than 3 months since you requested the documents and you (still) have not informed the RDW that you have not received them, you will have to resubmit the request for a replacement registration card or registration code.

Informing the RDW of documents that have not received

To inform the RDW that you have not received a document:

  • Fill in the ‘documents not received’ form in full.
  • Click ‘Send’.
  • If everything is approved, the RDW will send you a new document within 5 working days.

No registration code in the case of leased vehicles

If your vehicle is owned by a leasing or finance company, that company will always receive the registration code.