Requesting a new registration code
Wat kunt u doen?
Conditions for direct downloads
You can download your registration code directly only if:
- you can log in via DigiD. If you do not have DigiD, you can get it free of charge at www.digid.nl.
- you are requesting a registration code for your own vehicle.
- Do you have a lease vehicle? If so, contact the leasing or financing company. Only that company can request a new registration code.
- Are you requesting the code for or on behalf of someone else or do you not have DigiD? If so, you cannot download the registration code. If this is the case, go to requesting a registration code for or on behalf of someone else.
- Are you requesting a registration code in the name of your company and do you have the eHerkenning login system? If so, download your registration code here. Do you not have eHerkenning? If not, you can use this service to request your registration code. Choose the option to request a registration code only.
Directly downloading a new registration code
- Go to Downloading my registration code This will take you to the DigiD screen, where you can log in.
- Provide the requested details in DigiD and then you will be taken to the RDW service.
- Select the registration code of the vehicle for which you want to download a registration code.
- Pay the fee via iDEAL.
|New registration code||€1,00|
5. You will receive a confirmation email from the RDW.
6. Within a few minutes you will then receive an email from the RDW containing the link to your new registration code. You may need to log in again with DigiD in order to be able to download the registration code.
7. You will be able to view the registration code for 40 days. If you want to keep it for longer than 40 days, we recommend that you save the file yourself.
If you are requesting a registration code for or on behalf of someone else, or if you do not have DigiD, you cannot download the code directly. You can still request the registration code online. Then you will receive it by post a few days later. This is what you need to do:
- Go to Requesting a new registration code
- Select the second option: Request a registration code only.
- Fill in the details requested. Make sure you have your vehicle identification number (chassis number) to hand. The number is on the back of your registration card.
- Pay the fee via iDEAL.
|New registration code||€1,00|
5. You will receive an email from the RDW containing the details of the request.
6. The RDW will send you the new registration code by post (not by email). The registration number stays the same.
N.B. the RDW always sends the registration code to the address registered with the municipality of the person in whose name the vehicle is registered. If this is not what is intended or if the person died or emigrated before 1 January 2017, contact the RDW Customer Service.
Processing your request
The following schedule shows when you will receive your registration code.
|Monday to Friday before 8 p.m.||Within 3 working days|
|Monday to Thursday after 8 p.m.||Within 4 working days|
|Friday after 8 p.m. and on the weekend||Thursday|
Code not received
Contact the RDW if you have not received the registration code within 5 working days. For more information, go to Vehicle registration card or registration code not received.
No registration code with the paper registration certificate
If you have a paper registration certificate, you do not need to request a registration code. You will not have been sent that code in the case of a paper registration certificate.
Lost registration certificate and registration code
Have you lost (part of) your registration certificate (paper version or registration card)? If so, you must apply for a new registration certificate. You will also receive a new registration code. For more information, go to Applying for a new registration certificate.
Many people find their missing registration code soon after requesting a new one. If you requested a new code and have found your old one, it will not be possible to cancel the request and get a refund.
Log in using your European login tool
Citizens of EU Member States who do not have DigiD can log in using an EU-approved login tool. This allows you to log in with your country’s national login tool. NB: you need a Dutch social security number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN) and Dutch bank account for this.
The amount has been debited
after making the online request, but I have not received a confirmation email.
Is there a problem?
iDEAL sends the RDW automatic notifications containing payment information several times a day. Once the amount has been debited from your account, you can assume that your new documents will be sent to you. If you have not received a confirmation email within 4 hours of making your request, please contact the RDW and ask for a new confirmation email.
I entered the wrong email
address in the request details and have therefore not received a confirmation
email. How can I still view my data?
Unfortunately, you will not be able to view your progress online. Once the amount has been debited from your account, you can assume that your new documents will be sent to you. If you do want to find out the progress of your request, contact the RDW. Unfortunately, you will not be able to view your progress online. Once the amount has been debited from your account, you can assume that your new documents will be sent to you. If you do want to find out the progress of your request, contact the RDW.
- Can I request a registration
code via a website other than the RDW’s website?
No, that’s not possible. Registration codes are an RDW product. They can only be issued by the RDW. There are organisations that offer you a means of requesting the registration code via their website. They will make the request for you via the RDW’s website. The organisation pays EUR 1.00 to the RDW for the code. You may have to pay extra to the organisation for their service. If you request the code yourself via www.rdw.nl, you will not have to pay more than EUR 1.00.