Apply for a new vehicle registration certificate
Wat kunt u doen?
Please note: If you have not lost your paper vehicle registration certificate or if it has not been damaged, but you do want a vehicle registration certificate in a credit card format (vehicle registration card), please use the Exchange paper vehicle registration certificate service (which is only available in Dutch).
Have you lost your registration code only? Please read the Apply for a new registration code online article (which is only available in Dutch).
Applying for a replacement vehicle registration certificate online takes place in the following way:
- Click 'Vervangend kentekenbewijs en tenaamstellingscode aanvragen' (Apply for replacement vehicle registration certificate and registration code). Unfortunately, this service cannot yet be offered in English. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Please enter the requested data.
- Please pay the costs using iDEAL.
- RDW sends you an e-mail including the application details.
- RDW sends you a new vehicle registration card.
- Besides, you receive a letter containing a registration code. RDW sends the registration code to you one working day after the vehicle registration card was sent. It is important to store the registration code well and keep it separate from the vehicle registration card. The vehicle license number remains the same. Please note! RDW always sends the vehicle registration card and the registration code to the person to whom the vehicle has been registered (to the address registered with the municipality).
If your vehicle is owned by a lease or a financing company, you only receive the vehicle registration card. In that situation, the lease or financing company receives the registration code.
- After receiving the new vehicle registration card, you can destroy any former paper vehicle registration certificate parts that you may own. This is to prevent any confusion, as these parts are no longer valid.
If a vehicle registration card has already been issued for your vehicle, the former registration code should be destroyed. After issuing a new registration code, the former one is no longer valid either.
Many people find their missing vehicle registration certificate shortly after applying for a replacement vehicle registration certificate. If you have applied for a replacement vehicle registration certificate and you have found your former vehicle registration certificate, you cannot stop your application nor get a refund.
Online application conditions
You can only apply for a replacement vehicle registration certificate if:
- the vehicle has been registered to your name, or if the application is done on your behalf. If you have a company and the vehicle has been registered to this company, please read the Apply for a replacement vehicle registration certificate as a company article (which is only available in Dutch).
Online application handling term
Sending a vehicle registration card:
- Application done before 8 PM > sent the next working day.
- Application done after 8 PM > sent within 2 working days.
- Application done Friday after 8 PM or during the weekend > sent the following Tuesday.
Please add 1 working day for sending the registration code. If RDW needs more information based on your application, it might take longer for you to receive your new vehicle registration card. Please note: The actual delivery moment of your vehicle registration card and the registration code depends on the mail services. If you have not received your vehicle registration card 5 working days after your application, please read the 'Vehicle registration card or registration code has not been received' article to find out what you can do (This information is only available in Dutch).
Online application not possible
If you have a special vehicle registration certificate (a trader’s license number, for instance), the owner has passed away or your vehicle has been bought through an alternative channel (an auction, for instance), you cannot always apply for a replacement vehicle registration certificate online. Please contact RDW Customer Service for more information.