Expired type approval
If you have vehicles for which the type approvals have expired, you can still register them if they have been registered as end-of-series vehicles by a request of the manufacturer or the manufacturer’s authorised representative. The manufacturer must submit a request for these vehicles with a registration body such as the RDW. Read below for more information about the requirements and the registration process. After registration, the stock must be audited by an auditor or by the RDW.
Terms and conditions for admission
Vehicles that have been marked end-of-series vehicles can be admitted within a fixed period. These periods and the accompanying conditions are mentioned in articles 3.26 and 3.27 of the Dutch Ministerial Decree Regeling voertuigen. Periods differ per type of vehicle. If you have any questions about this, please contact RDW.
Contrary to article 3.26 (1), the following applies to category L from 1 January 2016: The 168/2013 (Article 44) End-of-series regulation applies to category L vehicles of which the 2002/24 type-approval expires with effect from 1 January 2016.
You can submit a request for a maximum of 10% of the number of registered vehicles (registered means assigned a registration number and registered to a certain person) in the Netherlands over the past 2 years as End-of-series vehicles for each European type-approval number. If the number of registered vehicles over the past 2 years is less than 1,000, a maximum of 100 vehicles per type-approval number applies.
The end-of-series vehicles can be registered for another 24 months from the date on which the EU type-approval became invalid.
Changes in requirements
Type approvals do expire when the regulations pertaining to them are amended and stricter requirements for (the licensing of) vehicles are introduced. You can use the information in the table below to find out when the validity of the type approvals will expire. The table also indicates when requests must be submitted for end-of-series vehicles.
Request for end-of-series vehicles
The request for end-of-series vehicles is based on Appendix VII of the Dutch Ministerial Decree Regeling voertuigen. Within two weeks of the stricter requirements coming into effect, the request must be submitted and the following information must be specified:
- the vehicle category;
- the type approval number;
- where applicable, the variant;
- where applicable, the model;
- the vehicle identification number (VIN);
- the location or locations where the vehicles are being kept in stock;
- the address data and telephone number of the vehicle location(s);
- the technical or economic reasons why the vehicles cannot comply with the new technical requirements.
You must specify the above data in your end-of-series request. To apply for the end-of-series request, please use this application form.
To ensure that your request is processed smoothly, the RDW recommends that you also supply the above information in an Excel sheet. The end-of-series request must be audited by an accounting consultant or an employee of the RDW’s Product Assessment department.
Request for end-of-series vehicles based on an audit by an accounting consultant
Please use this application form to send the end-of-series request based on the auditor’s report. You must include the following documents:
- the RDW order form;
- if the applicant for end-of-series request is not the manufacturer, a copy of the authorisation from the manufacturer for the end-of-series request;
- the list for the end-of-series application;
- a declaration of the correctness of end-of-series request. This declaration must have been issued by an auditor or an accounting consultant, as specified in Article 36, third section, of the Dutch Accounting Consultants Act or an equivalent auditor in another country, drawn up in the Dutch language.
Request for end-of-series vehicles based on an audit by the RDW Product Assessment department
To arrange for the end-of-series request to be audited, please use this application form.